A vast country like India is expected by the other parts of the world to have more than just one time zone. However, it is not the case. Throughout India’s whole area, there is only one stipulated time zone to follow, i.e., the Indian Standard Time.
The IST operates 5,5 hours forth from the Coordinated Universal Time. Moreover, the citizens of India cannot enjoy the distinction between the winter and summertime as well.
The Indian government has introduced the Indian Standard Time (IST) as the only time zone following independence gain in 1947.
Why is there currently no separate time zone in India? Why did the daylight saving proposal not get approved since 2014? Read on to learn more about time operation in India.
Table of Contents
Why do the Northeast states want a separate time zone?
The Northeast states of India are hit particularly hard. In the wintertime, when the sun is setting at 4 PM, the citizens of the Northeast states claim to have much higher electricity bills! Moreover, in some parts of this area, there is no electricity, which further affects their economic and social situation.
The early sunrise of 4 AM is wasted, due to the offices opening 6 hours later. In these states, the sun rises two hours earlier than in the West, which causes confusion and numerous issues!
Why the Indian government protects the single time zone?
Even though there were several studies conducted in favor of having multiple time zones in India, the government of the country still sticks to keeping just one, mainly due to:
- safety reasons
- to avoid disorientation
- to avoid disorganization when it comes to railway and flight schedules
- to avoid an outbreak of disagreement between the West and East
There were two time zones in India in the past; however, this has been changed later on.
Do you need an e-Visa to travel to India?
Every traveler visiting India must have an e-Visa to cross the country’s border. Luckily, it is easily obtainable online! Use your phone, laptop, PC, or even a tablet and apply following a quick and intuitive application process.
To get more information on which countries are eligible to apply, check the complete India e-Visa requirements!
India e-Visa characteristics
- comes in three different types
- can be used for tourism, business, medical, and transit purposes
- costs only 129 Euro
- is approved within a maximum of 72 hours (3 business days)
- the validity period is either 60, 90, or 180 days
- serves as a multiple-entry permit
How to submit a successful application for the India e-Visa?
Grab your valid passport and spare a few minutes to complete the application process. Successful applications have no errors in the data provided; thus, make sure that every piece of information provided in the form is correct.
Follow this guide to submit a positively approved application:
- Put some basic personal and travel details in an online form using any working device. Upload the supporting documents and move on to the next step.
- Cover the Indian e-Visa fee (129 Euro) by using any of the several online payment methods.
- Check if you have received the confirmation number and wait for the approved e-Visa to arrive at your e-mail address in a PDF form.
Our support team is available to all applicants who may need any help during applying or have any questions or doubts! Do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail or phone.